Nowhere 2016

Posted on August 5, 2016

If Burning Man is a dusty city with 80,000 inhabitants, then Nowhere is a dusty village with just 2,000. I like it that way. This was my third time, having missed 2015’s 50 degree heatwave, and it felt like coming home. Lots of friends and familiar faces yet to become friends; dusty bodies, crazy dancing, sharing, creating, connecting and being. Can’t wait to do it all again next year.

All photos made with an old Mamiya c220 twin lens reflex camera on 120 Kodak film in a 40 degree dustbowl.

Julien-et-Ode_©_Emma-Marshall

art-car_©_Emma-Marshall

Finally-normal-people_david-_©_Emma-Marshall

Can't-wait_©_Emma-Marshall

Ingrid_©_Emma-Marshall

Dust-devil_©_Emma-Marshall

Organ_©_Emma-Marshall

Nowhere-blog-10

Sunset-lookout_©_Emma-Marshall

Organist_©_Emma-Marshall

Free-shower_©_Emma-Marshall

13 Responses

1. Jo
    August 7, 2016

Oh Emma. I do not have words to describe your photography. It is amazing on every level – old film camera and your photos are so sharp and clear. I love subtle film feel – not overwhelming contrasty – clean and crisp. And the place is simply magical – I must look into this as I have never heard of it before. Gorgeous photos! You should send them for a competition or two somewhere! x

• Emma
      August 10, 2016

Thanks so much for your comment Jo! It is magical – you should go sometime :) x

2. Jason Williams
    August 8, 2016

Emma I love everything about this. Documentary photography at it’s best. What an amazing experience this place must be, and to get to capture it on film is all the better.

• Emma
      August 10, 2016

Thanks Jason, that means a lot :) It is an extraordinary place.

3. Nina
    August 8, 2016

These pictures just make me want to BE THERE. Great job!

• Emma
      August 10, 2016

Thanks Nina, I’m glad they have that effect :)

4. Anna Taylor
    August 10, 2016

Oh my Emma – I love this set. It’s feels properly old skool 70’s. That first image is my absolute favourite.

• Emma
      August 10, 2016

Thanks Anna!

5. sam
    August 12, 2016

Love these photos, the colours, the way you’ve captured the light – so inviting – definitely want to look this place up for another year!

• Emma
      September 9, 2016

Thanks Sam :)

6. G (aka Marshal Gray)
    August 28, 2016

sublime. love all of these. You simply can’t beat film. and … if you have a pretty damn decent photography holding the camera – it’s always going to be good. Love the mood of these too. Gorgeous frames Ems.

• Emma
      September 9, 2016

Thanks Gary :)

7. Paul Grace
    September 14, 2016

Stunning work – looks like an amazing festival!